We are looking for a passionate and experienced Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our team. As a key technical member on our mechanical team, your primary responsibility will be driving the design and development of complex electromechanical systems on a completely new manufacturing process. We’re looking for someone with industry experience in mechanical design and robotics, and someone who is excited about the risks and rewards of joining a seed-funded startup.
unspun is a robotics and digital apparel company building custom jeans for each consumer, on-demand. Our mission is to reduce global carbon emissions by 1% through automated, localized, and intentional manufacturing. By using the iPhone Face ID sensor to create a digital avatar, we can instantly tailor and build each garment to the actual customer, delivering a completely custom product at off-the-rack prices— all while eliminating unsold inventory waste (a $150B/year loss industry-wide). Recently included in Time's Best Inventions & Fast Company's World Changing Ideas, unspun aims to rapidly transition the trillion-dollar apparel world into one that is more intentional, inclusive, and efficient by focusing on the overlap between sustainability and profitability. We also happen to make the best-fitting jeans on the planet.
What we're building
We’ve developed a proprietary and patent-pending technology at the crossroads of 3D printing and automated textile manufacturing. By skipping the flat 2D fabric stage, we can additively build custom apparel products from the ground up- straight from yarn to final product. If additive manufacturing, industrial automation, and synchronized systems of hundreds of sensors & actuators gets you excited, we’d love to talk!
You enjoy working on fast-paced and early-stage mechanical design. You have extensive experience in designing, prototyping, and validating mechanical systems. You thrive on the lack of clear answers at the outset of high-reaching projects, and look forward to finding clarity and articulating it to others. You are energized by working on hard problems within an evolving R&D environment.
What you’ll do
- Contribute to the entire product design lifecycle for a robotic subassembly, including requirements gathering, concept generation, detailed design with analysis, validation testing, cross-functional reviews, and manufacturing release
- Develop and execute designs for complex systems
- Design parts for manufacturing including machined parts, sheet metal, and cast metal
- Evaluate new designs through analysis (e.g. kinematic, dynamic, power, efficiency, thermal, manufacturability, etc)
- Validate designs and design ideas with rapid iterative prototyping
- Work cross-functionally with other engineers to deliver a robotic system
- Provide mentorship to help grow capability within the engineering team
- Write and maintain documentation for internal communication
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or related fields typically with 7+ years experience, or 10+ years working experience in related fields
- Experience using basic physics and mechanical engineering analysis for part and system design
- Experience in taking designs from idea through to low to mid volume manufacturing
- Experience designing and integrating electromechanical systems
- Proficient with 3D CAD tools (Solidworks preferred)
- Experience in the areas of design for manufacturing (e.g. sheet metal, injection molding, die casting, extrusions)
- Experience with hands-on prototyping, system bring-up, and reliability testing
- Experience mentoring other engineers or teammates
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working on fast-paced early stage R&D projects
- Project management skills for cross-functional team organization
- Experience working with vendors outside of the US
If you don't meet all of the requirements listed above, but can make up for it with a voracious passion to learn how to do so, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We won’t roll our eyes if your socks don’t match. We get it. But then, if you spend those extra few minutes in the morning matching your socks and shirt, we get that too. Our workspaces are sometimes spotless and sometimes chaotic, and we celebrate messy exploration. We work through complex problems but generate simple and elegant solutions. We strive to look at things differently, and never do anything solely because “that’s the way it’s always been done.”
We’re a team of designers and engineers, industry-veterans and serial entrepreneurs, artists and developers. We’re aspiring chess masters and climbers, bakers and photographers. Originally spun out of Stanford and the University of Colorado, we now call downtown San Francisco home, with strong ties to Hong Kong. We are looking for teammates who share our desire to work on ambitious problems and leave the world better than we found it.
unspun is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note: Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our teammates and their families. As such, unspun requires all on-site employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.