We are looking for a passionate and experienced Mechatronics Engineer to join our team. As a key technical member on our hardware team, your primary responsibility will be driving the development and testing of complex electromechanical systems on a completely new automated manufacturing process. We’re looking for someone with industry experience in electromechanical design and robotics, and someone who is excited about the risks and rewards of joining a seed-funded startup.
unspun is a robotics and digital apparel company building custom jeans for each consumer, on-demand. Our mission is to reduce global carbon emissions by 1% through automated, localized, and intentional manufacturing. By using the iPhone Face ID sensor to create a digital avatar, we can instantly tailor and build each garment to the actual customer, delivering a completely custom product at off-the-rack prices— all while eliminating unsold inventory waste (a $150B/year loss industry-wide). Recently included in Time's Best Inventions & Fast Company's World Changing Ideas, unspun aims to rapidly transition the trillion-dollar apparel world into one that is more intentional, inclusive, and efficient by focusing on the overlap between sustainability and profitability. We also happen to make the best-fitting jeans on the planet.
What we're building
We’ve developed a proprietary and patent-pending technology at the crossroads of 3D printing and automated textile manufacturing. By skipping the flat 2D fabric stage, we can additively build custom apparel products from the ground up- straight from yarn to final product. If additive manufacturing, industrial automation, and synchronized systems of hundreds of sensors & actuators gets you excited, we’d love to talk!
You enjoy working on fast-paced and early-stage robotics and systems development. You have extensive experience in designing, prototyping, controlling and analyzing electromechanical systems. You thrive on the lack of clear answers at the outset of high-reaching projects, and look forward to finding clarity and articulating it to others. You are energized by working on hard problems within an evolving R&D environment.
What you’ll do
- Contribute to and own development of robotic systems, including requirements gathering, concept generation, prototyping, detailed design, validation testing, and cross-functional reviews
- Play a significant role in the direction of unspun’s automated systems, using physics based first principles and failure analysis to drive ideation
- Validate designs and design ideas with rapid iterative prototyping
- Collaborate with mechanical and software teams to deliver a robotic manufacturing system
- BS or MS in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics or related engineering fields with 4+ years experience
- Project history demonstrating expertise in hands-on prototyping, bring-up, and analysis of robotic or electromechanical devices
- Experience troubleshooting integrated systems and large electromechanical devices using tools such as oscilloscopes and logic analyzers
- Solid foundation in C / C++ and Python
- Proficiency in high-level analysis languages such as MATLAB or Python
- Experience with 3D CAD tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working on fast-paced early stage R&D projects
- Knowledge of PCB design and analysis
- Experience mentoring other engineers or teammates
If you don't meet all of the requirements listed above, but can make up for it with a voracious passion to learn how to do so, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We won’t roll our eyes if your socks don’t match. We get it. But then, if you spend those extra few minutes in the morning matching your socks and shirt, we get that too. Our workspaces are sometimes spotless and sometimes chaotic, and we celebrate messy exploration. We work through complex problems but generate simple and elegant solutions. We strive to look at things differently, and never do anything solely because “that’s the way it’s always been done.”
We’re a team of designers and engineers, industry-veterans and serial entrepreneurs, artists and developers. We’re aspiring chess masters and climbers, bakers and photographers. Originally spun out of Stanford and the University of Colorado, we now call downtown San Francisco home, with strong ties to Hong Kong. We are looking for teammates who share our desire to work on ambitious problems and leave the world better than we found it.
unspun is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note: Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our teammates and their families. As such, unspun requires all on-site employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.