unspun is a robotics and digital apparel company building custom jeans for each consumer, on demand. Our mission is to reduce global carbon emissions by 1% through automated, localized, and intentional manufacturing. Our revolutionary technology is currently being realized through our award-winning brand unspun (one of TIME's Best Inventions, PopSci’s Best of What’s New), a software B2B platform powering digital customization for multiple large apparel labels, and a National Science Foundation-backed hardware team working on the future of additive and automated apparel production. We’re a fast-moving company powered by Fifty Years, Prelude Ventures, SOSV, and the H&M Foundation.
We also happen to make the best fitting jeans on the planet.
What We’re Building:
We are developing an automated process for creating perfectly fitting jeans. Starting from a customer’s 3D body scan, our system generates customized pattern pieces that are then assembled on-demand. This removes the need for inventory and eliminates unnecessary waste.
We’re building software to handle the production of one-off pairs of jeans -- from creating the patterns to making sure the pants make it to the customer. This involves things like creating automated fit algorithms that shape our patterns uniquely to every customer, as well as improving our data model and the internal tooling of our React/Falcon web app.
- build software that approaches apparel design and production in a totally new way
- strike a balance between being an individual contributor and identifying + leading new projects
- manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- mentor other team members on design techniques and coding standards
- connect with fashion, tech, design, sustainability, and the future
- likely already worked in a similar Lead role, or have 5-10 years of technical experience
- mastery of one programming language, familiarity with many
- the ability to thrive in a collaborative environment involving many different stakeholders
- a track record of getting things done and a strong bias towards action
- thoughtful curiosity and a constant desire to learn
- a desire to take risks, and a willingness to be wrong
- experience writing clean, well tested code in any programming paradigm
- the ability to independently solve problems, and debug efficiently
We won’t roll our eyes if your socks don’t match. We get it. But then, if you spend those extra few minutes in the morning matching your socks and shirt, we get that too. Our workspaces are sometimes spotless and sometimes chaotic, and we celebrate messy exploration. We work through complex problems but generate simple and elegant solutions. We strive to look at things differently, and never do anything solely because “that’s the way it’s always been done.”
We’re a team of designers and engineers, industry-veterans and serial entrepreneurs, artists and developers. We’re aspiring chess masters and climbers, bakers and photographers. Originally spun out of Stanford and the University of Colorado, we now call downtown San Francisco home, with strong ties to Hong Kong. We are looking for teammates who share our desire to work on ambitious problems and leave the world better than we found it.
unspun is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.