unspun is a robotics and digital apparel company building custom jeans for each consumer, on-demand. Our mission is to reduce global carbon emissions by 1% through automated, localized, and intentional manufacturing. Our revolutionary technology is currently being realized through our award-winning brand unspun (as seen in Forbes, Time, PopSci, GQ, & HYPEBEAST), a software B2B platform powering digital customization for multiple large apparel labels, and a National Science Foundation-backed hardware team working on the future of additive and automated apparel production. We’re a fast-moving company powered by Fifty Years, Prelude Ventures, SOSV, and the H&M Foundation.
We also happen to make the best fitting jeans on the planet.
What We’re Building:
We’ve developed a proprietary and patent-pending technology at the crossroads of 3D printing and automated textile manufacturing. By skipping the flat 2D fabric stage, we can additively build custom apparel products from the ground up- straight from yarn to final product. At the same time, we're building the world's most technology-forward denim brand, and quickly picking up speed in both categories. If additive manufacturing, robotics, software, and fashion sound like a fun combination, we'd love to talk.
We are looking for an ambitious future founder to work directly with our CTO on a wide variety of operational and strategy-level automation and process improvements. This person could also be a full-time employee elsewhere, but looking to spend ~10 hours per week on a climate-tech project they're passionate about. We’re talking under-the-hood, Zapier-slinging, self-sufficient, "hey this process could be better so check out what I built" dirty work. No software dev experience necessary, but you should have a clear idea of how you could automate creating a calendar event whenever someone uses the phrase "Bernie's Mittons" on slack, or how you could send a text message with a random Office gif to yourself any time you get another annoying recruiter email.
We're looking for someone who's not afraid to get their hands dirty and learn a ton in a leadership support role, someone who's innately curious and good at problem-solving, someone who's a great systems thinker, and someone who's looking for a
front-row seat side-stage role to the ins-and-outs of early-stage startup chaos.
You likely enjoy learning new technology, and problems with no obvious answer excite you. You’re fascinated with the intersection of art and engineering, and continuous learning (& sharing that knowledge with teammates) is a fundamental part of who you are.
What You’ll Do:
- Spend 50% of your time with pre-planned projects, and 50% of your time with your best virtual firefighting helmet on. This is a founder support role, and changing priorities and constant side quests is part of the game. Sometimes, you'll open your computer and be in reacting mode all day.
- In your deep-dive time, you'll be the figurative mechanic on the machine that is unspun. Processes that worked at a year ago are now out of date, manual things that didn't scale but were fine are now not fine, and there are so many small things that should be automated. You will bounce around to different priorities (shopify drag-n-drop website updates, notion templates for the robotics team, customer email flows in klaviyo, etc.
- Visualize data. Time to flex those business school muscles?
- Help drive sales. Without spending money. Let's get creative and test some things out.
- Find problems we can't see. You'll be bad-process-enemy-number-1. See a better way to do something? Let's fix it.
- A few years experience with zapier
- You've previously used email newsletter tools
- You've likely built a few drag-n-drop websites before in squarespace, etc
- Based anywhere, but with significant overlap with PST
- A lovable human being with an attitude and style
- Someone looking for significant experience in a high growth startup
- 10+ hours per week (upper-limit up to you)
If you don't meet all of the requirements listed above, but can make up for it with a voracious passion to learn how to do so, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Duration & Compensation:
Our most important goal is to find the right person. We're flexible with timing, and happy to make this as short or as long of an internship / co-op as you like (And makes sense). Ideally starts last week, but you can suggest the next best time. Compensation will be 100% equity, at least to start. We're flexible on the arrangement of this role, and can make it fit an early-career internship, an experienced professional's side-project, or anything in-between.
We won’t roll our eyes if your socks don’t match. We get it. But then, if you spend those extra few minutes in the morning matching your socks and shirt, we get that too. Our workspaces are sometimes spotless and sometimes chaotic, and we celebrate messy exploration. We work through complex problems but generate simple and elegant solutions. We strive to look at things differently, and never do anything solely because “that’s the way it’s always been done.”
We’re a team of designers and engineers, industry-veterans and serial entrepreneurs, artists and developers. We’re aspiring chess masters and climbers, bakers and photographers. Originally spun out of Stanford and the University of Colorado, we now call downtown San Francisco home, with strong ties to Hong Kong. We are looking for teammates who share our desire to work on ambitious problems and leave the world better than we found it.
unspun is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to being a diverse team that reflects a broad range of background, thought, and experience. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, status as protected veteran, or any other legally protected characteristics. Women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
How To Apply:
Whatever makes sense. :)